How to do Alphabet Planks Correctly and Safely
The Alphabet Plank is an excellent ab exercise that teaches the principle of core stability. Proper abdominal training should focus on resisting motion, and maintaining a neutral spinal alignment in different positions. The alphabet plank forces you to resist spinal extension, and thus, we consider it to be a fundamental exercise.
ALPHABET PLANK FORM VIDEO
BENEFITS OF THE ALPHABET PLANK
- Strengthens the entire core musculature including the rectus abdominis, the lateral obliques, the transverse abdominis and also the gluteus maximus
Teaches the core how to prevent spinal extension, which is crucial for spinal health and low back pain prophylaxis.
MUSCLES WORKED DURING THE ALPHABET PLANK
PERFORMING THE ALPHABET PLANK WITH GOOD TECHNIQUE
- Position yourself on a bosu ball in a plank position with your elbows resting on the ball and your feet positioned behind you
Keep your feet close together, if you feel unstable, feel free to widen your foot position
Once in the plank position, ensure that you keep your core muscles braced, and your glute muscles squeezed throughout the entire movement
Also ensure that you maintain a neutral spinal alignment, especially at the neck
Begin the exercise by drawing the letters of the alphabet with your elbows through subtle controlled movements
Make sure that you keep your core and glutes engaged and do not let your spinal alignment change! This is the most critical part of the exercise
Feel free to draw the letters of the alphabet from A to Z or the name of a loved one for a fun variation
Take as many sets as necessary to draw the entire alphabet. Do not be surprised if you can only draw 6-8 letters per set.
Over time, your core strength and endurance should improve
SUMMARY OF THE ALPHABET PLANK TECHNIQUE
Click on each blue circle to view the key technical aspects of this exercise
NOT KEEPING YOUR SPINE NEUTRAL
- This places excessive strain on the lumbar spine and cervical spine. Keep your core and glutes active and engaged and look down at the bosu ball
EXCESSIVE MOVEMENT OF THE BODY
- Ensure that you utilize subtle controlled movements of your arms only. The rest of your body should remain fixed
- Aim to complete the entire alphabet in 1 set